-  ( : - : 1 - : 2 )                    ..  ( : - : 0 - : 1 )                    ..  ( : - : 0 - : 1 )                    :  ( : - : 0 - : 1 )                     ( : - : 0 - : 16 )                    .. 4  ( : - : 0 - : 14 )                    ..  ( : - : 0 - : 16 )                     ( : - : 0 - : 17 )                    ( 19 ) ( : - : 262 - : 77383 )                    ..  ( : - : 0 - : 14 )                     ( : - : 0 - : 16 )                    -  ( : - : 1 - : 5197 )                    ..  ( : - : 0 - : 22 )                    -  ( : - : 0 - : 24 )                    ..  ( : - : 0 - : 25 )                   



 
  ..[ ].. > > ( ) ( Department of General military subjec
 


Defense worker assessed Hasan months ago

( ) ( Department of General military subjec


 

12-11-09, 05:03 AM

  : 1

Defense worker assessed Hasan months ago



 

Defense worker assessed Hasan months ago

WASHINGTON (AP) A Defense Department investigator on a terrorism task force looked into Fort Hood shooting suspect Nidal Hasans background months ago, officials said Tuesday providing fresh evidence the military knew worrisome details about the Army psychiatrist before last weeks deadly rampage.
Two officials speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the case on the record said the Washington-based joint terrorism task force overseen by the FBI was notified of communications between Hasan and a radical imam overseas, and the information was turned over to a Defense Criminal Investigative Service employee assigned to the task force.
That worker wrote up an assessment of Hasan after reviewing the Army majors personnel file and the communications. The assessment concluded Hasan did not merit further investigation, in large part because his communications with the imam were centered on a research paper he was writing at the time, and the investigator had concluded Hasan was in fact working on such a paper, the officials said.
The disclosure came as questions swirled about whether opportunities were missed to head off the massacre 13 dead and 29 wounded and the FBI launched its own internal review of how it handled the early information about Hasan. Military, law enforcement and intelligence agencies are all defending themselves against tough questions about what each of them knew about Hasan before he purportedly opened fire in a crowded room at the huge military base in Texas.
Within hours after the role of the defense investigator on the task force was disclosed, a senior defense official said based on what we know now, neither the U.S. Army nor any other organization within the Department of Defense knew of Maj. Hasans contacts with any Muslim extremists.
Hasan, awake and talking to doctors, met his lawyer Monday in the San Antonio hospital where he is recovering, under guard, from gunshot wounds in the assault. He has not been formally charged, but officials plan to charge him in military court, not a civilian one.
Investigators believe Hasan acted alone, despite his communications with Anwar al-Awlaki, an imam released from a Yemeni jail last year who has used his personal Web site to encourage Muslims across the world to kill U.S. troops in Iraq.
Meanwhile, The Washington Post reported Tuesday that Hasan warned his medical colleagues a year and a half ago that to decrease adverse events, the U.S. military should allow Muslim soldiers to be released as conscientious objectors instead of fighting in wars against other Muslims.

 

 


 

. ( , , , ) .

 


-2
11 ( )


   


« | »




06:01 PM

 RSS Feeds - -

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. TranZ By Almuhajir